Modern Gold & Silver Coins
Collecting Modern US Coins
Not all collections have to have rare, ancient coins to be valuable. Many of today’s modern coins are worth investing in, as well. However, the term modern can be a bit vague. While you might think this refers to coins minted in the last decade, they can date as far back as the 50s and 60s.
Most coin collectors classify US modern coins as anything struck after 1963. The dates may vary for coins outside of the country. In recent numismatic history, the US Mint has struck several coins ranging from fun collectors’ items to valuable portfolio additions. If you want to know more about which modern coins to collect and invest in, we encourage you to read on.
Modern Coins to Collect
Many collectors find modern coin collections to be very rewarding. Not only do they offer financial benefits, but also for their increasingly interesting qualities. More recently, the US Mint has released Ultra High Relief versions of the classic double eagle. You might also find unique, uncirculated anniversary collections.
One of the most exciting elements of modern coin collections is diversity. You ultimately decide which modern coins to collect based on your preferences. For example, some newer coins may feature aspects of American history and culture. Whether baseball or space exploration appeals to you, you are sure to find some modern coins that pique your interest.
The following are just a few examples of the most popular modern coins to collect:
- 1972 1C Doubled Die Obverse, MS
- 1995-W $1 Silver Eagle, PR
- 2000 Sacagawea Quarter Dollar Mule, MS
- 2014 $25 American Gold Eagles
- 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Set
Modern Coins Worth Money
Compared to other segments of the coin collecting market, modern coins tend to be more volatile. It’s not uncommon to watch the values rise and fall rapidly, and as a result, it can be easy to overpay for some coins. While the value is likely to reach its previous highs, it could take years. There are far too many factors to be able to accurately project changes in modern coin prices.
Don’t let that scare you off, though. There are still plenty of great finds and valuable modern coins. If you are looking to find modern coins worth money, check out these extremely valuable pieces:
- 1974 Aluminum Lincoln Cent, MS: To this day, there is only one known Lincoln Cent from this mintage, which makes it extremely valuable. However, there is a potential that its rarity could make it illegal to own.
- 1975 No S Roosevelt Dime, PR: In this case, we know there are at least two of these coins in circulation. They are famous for their “No S,” and at the last auction, one of these coins sold for $350,000.
- 1969-S Doubled Die Lincoln Cent, MS: There are about three dozen known coins from this collection. Their rarity combined with the well-done doubling makes them especially desirable.
- 2000-W $10 Library of Congress, MS: This coin is different from other modern coins worth money because it Is the only gold and platinum bimetallic coin struck in US Mint history. We know 7,261 known coins exist.
Modern Coin Dealers
Whether you want modern US coins for investment purposes or the thrill of the hunt, IPM is here to help you find the next addition to your collection. We are one of the most trusted dealers for modern coins, so you can count on us to provide you with 100% authentic pieces.
Not to mention, we pride ourselves on customer service, so we are available 24/7 to answer any of your questions. Feel free to contact us to learn more about our current modern coin inventory. When you’re done make sure to check out our other coin collections including Gold Coins, Silver Coins, Platinum Coins & Palladium Coins!